[mythtv-users] System constantly locks up

Matthias Thyroff Matthias at thyroff.net
Sun Jul 16 09:37:35 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2006 05:03 schrieb Phill Edwards:
> > What was at 51 degrees C?  The processor?   256MB is a little cramped,
> > but probably not the cause of your lockups.
>
> The CPU was at 51 degrees C.
>
> > A little more detail here would be helpful.   What motherboard?  What
> > capture card?  What version of the capture drivers?  Which kernel?
>
> My mobo is a Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-8I848E-L with a Celeron 2.4GHz CPU.
> Video capture cards are 2 Kworld V-Stream Xpert DTV DVB-T PCI cards
> which seem to be supported out of the box with kernel
> 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 from ATrpms repo. My memory is a single stick LEGEND
> 256MB DDR RAM 333.
>
> Unfortunately my system froze again last night so I don't think the
> acpi settings has done the trick :(
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Hi Phil,

what are the last messages in your syslog before the crash? My linux computer
also had very frequent lockups, acpi=off made it much better. On the other
hand, in the syslog I still get ACPI messages (like the CPU temperature, for
example), which confuses me a bit.

Now I still have sporadic lockups and the last messages I see are multiple
state dumps from the scsi card (an adaptec 2940 controller), while it is not
used (cdrom and MO drive on it). So I'll have to take it out, I am afraid
(replace the adaptec card with a symbios one for better stability ?!).

Anyway, do you get a hint from your syslog? If not on a first view, compare
the syslog entries from various crashes, maybe you see a pattern?

Cheers

	Matthias