[mythtv-users] PVR-150 defaulting to /dev/video1

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 22:15:43 UTC 2006

On 15/07/06, Frank Armstrong <farmstrong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a a HD3000 and a PVR-150, and I know the 150 should be /dev/video0
> but it's defaulting to /dev/video1.  How do i set it to default to
> /dev/video0?  Setting it up in mythtvsetup i can set it to /dev/video1 no
> problem...but then it seems to only work on the first channel it's set on.

Which /dev/video device the PVR is assigned should not affect its
operation in MythTV - you just need to ensure the correct video device
is being assigned under Hardware MPEG2 encoders.

> If i try and change the channel it crashes on me and i'm pretty sure it's
> becuase it tries to change the channel on the card assinged /dev/video0. I
> know i can manually change the channel using ivtvctl -d but how do i set it
> up in myth to always use /dev/video1??

What's most likely happening is the analog port on the HDTV card is
grabbing /dev/video0 as its module is loaded first, and then the PVR
gets /dev/video1. If you are manually loading the drivers, you could
ensure the ivtv module is loaded first - this should mean /dev/video0
is assigned to the PVR-150 card.

If modules are being loaded automatically, you can either use some
udev rules to control device names for the HDTV and PVR cards, or,
could swap the cards over - likely the card nearer the AGP/PCIe will
be probed first and get /dev/video0. I prefer the udev method as it
gives fine control over device names.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: