[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 15 02:07:37 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Alex Brekken wrote:

> But you're not "running out" of storage.  That's the beauty of it -
> it's self cleaning.  You never run out, it's not a limited
> resource.   You have a hard drive that's devoted to Myth, right?
> (or at least a partition)  What does it matter if it's always
> full?  It's supposed to be full.   Believe me, the first 3 months I
> had my Myth box setup, I spent time every few days checking my disk
> space and deleting old recordings.  Then one day I decided to let
> my hair down and let the drive fill up.  I've never looked back
> since and chuckle when I think of the time I wasted managing disk
> space.
>
> To each their own of course,  but I know my Myth enjoyment went up
> after I let old habits die.  :)

That's the beauty of the system since 0.19, you can have it your way.

Generally if I record something I intend to watch it, and I delete it
after I do. To have something deleted by the system means that I
didn't get around to watching it for quite some time, but I don't
want even that to happen, so I just pay attention and make sure that
it doesn't.

But if it did happen the deletions would be in a logical order, with
what is clearly of the least interest to me going first.

It really is a very flexible system. I think the only problems would
occur if somebody other than me was using the system, because
different people have differing priorities.

Fortunately I live by myself and don't have those type of problems,
and I think the present system is far better than the one it replaced
(0.18 and previous), at least for me.