[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Fri Jul 14 11:49:26 UTC 2006

Steve Daniels wrote:
> So now you know LiveTV is a recording, you also know new recordings
> overwrite old ones, so going into LiveTV you carry the knowledge that you
> are potentially overwriting old recordings.

Good point.  I think the concern is more that if LiveTV is left on that
it shouldn't wipe out an inordinate number of recorded programs just
because it is tuned to a channel with a very long program.  Maybe a
prompt every 4 hours with 30 minutes of warning that LiveTV is about to
be stopped might be a workaround?  If somebody doesn't spot the prompt
in 30 minutes they aren't watching, and a show > 4 hours is an oddity -
plus it will probably just get deleted the instant it ends to make room
for the very next show that comes on LiveTV so it isn't like the user
would have much of a chance to rescue it if it were wanted.  MythTV is a
big unique in that it doesn't have a ring-buffer, which is the typical
safeguard against these issues.