[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Jul 13 20:45:29 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 2:25 pm, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> The kids walking away or the dog stepping on the keyboard are only
> problems because the design assumptions make them into problems.  I
> get your point -- "stuff happens" -- but a robust application
> shouldn't even see most of that "stuff" as problems.

Please explain how to do live-tv in a full-disk situation (before starting
live tv) without:
a) deleting a recording the user has already said can be deleted.
or
b) reserving space for live-tv only (and so preventing less to be recorded in
the first place, irregardless of how often someone uses live-tv).
or
c) just disallowing live-tv to run, even though there are programs that could
be deleted, and the user obviously wants to go into live-tv.

Obviously, c will have to happen anyway, if there's nothing marked as
deletable, but it's nice to keep that from happening if at all possible.  I
rather dislike b, because I want as much recorded at any given time as I have
space for.

Even with a ring-buffer (ie, <= 0.18), you need to have space on the drive
available to start it in the first place.

The problem with chunking livetv into smaller boundaries than a full program
is that in the full disk situation (which should be the norm for most people
after a short time of recording things), there won't be _any_ chunks other
than the most current one being recorded.  Everything else will have been
auto-expired to make space for the next chunk.  To me, that makes the ability
to keep the recording completely useless.  What use would a 5 minute
ring-buffer be?  The minimum I'd consider chunking a live-tv program to would
be 8 hours, I think.  Harddrives are cheap enough for that, anyway.

Let's see, other options..  could prompt the user so that they're explicitly
aware that something's going to be auto-expired when they enter live-tv, but
the normal user that uses auto-expire (who always a full-drive) is going to
get that message _every_ _single_ _time_ they start live-tv.  That's not
helpful or useful, that's annoying.  A user that deletes programs manually
wouldn't ever see the prompt, but they'd almost never be in the situation
where live-tv would possibly need extra space in the first place.

Way I see it: if you don't want something to be autoexpired, don't turn it on
in the first place.  If a program is allowed to be autoexpired, it's _going_
to be deleted at some point.  If you don't want something deleted when space
is needed, simply disable autoexpire for it.  I don't see that as a design
flaw.

I just got a 'global live-tv inactivity timeout' proposed to me, which could
help.  Ie, automatically exit after 4 hours of inactivity or whatnot.

Any other ideas?  Please, just don't ignore what happens when the disk is
_always_ full, and remember that regular scheduled recordings are also going
to be causing auto-expireable programs to be deleted.

And no, automatically buying and installing new harddrives won't work. =)

Isaac