[mythtv-users] How is the Mac mini as a front-end?

Marc Infield marc at infielddesign.com
Thu Jul 13 16:04:10 UTC 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 12:49 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> On 7/13/06, Marc Infield <marc at infielddesign.com> wrote:
>> We are thinking of using a Macintel Mac Mini as a front-end but
>> before I drop the money on a another project I would be interested in
>> hearing about any experience people have had with it as a "family
>> room" front-end (read as wife and child friendly). We would be using
>> it primarily for MythTV and iTunes.
>
> I have been using a Core Solo Mac Mini as a MythTV frontend since
> April, and I am very happy with it.
>

>> - How stable is are the macintel binaries?
>
> Very stable for me. I use suspend-to-ram (by pushing the button on the
> back of the mini) with MythTV still running whenever I don't use it.
> Sometimes when I wake it from suspend, MythTV has to be killed and
> restarted (I do it via ssh from another box), but apart from that it
> works well.
>

>> - Any limitations or setup issues?
>
> The biggest limitation for me is lack of a remote control. I am using
> a USB keyboard to control it right now. But there is a patch that adds
> support for the Apple Remote (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2017)
> as well as a binary with that patch included
> (http://collectivity.goof.com/), so I am hoping to get rid of the
> keyboard soon.
>

>> - Will it drive a 1080p monitor? (We just got a Westinghouse
>> LVM-42w2).
>
> Don't know. I am using S-Video at 720x576.
>

>> - Are there any sound issues? Does the TOSLINK adapter work?
>
> Sound via TOSLink works perfectly for me. The optical plug is 3.5mm
> and not the standard toslink type, but cables are available from
> several manufacturers.
>

>> - How is the over all usability? Does it integrate with frontrow?
>
> No, it does not integrate with frontrow. Frontrow is a disappointment
> to me. It doesn't seem to integrate easily with anything except Apple
> products and it doesn't play MPEG2 TS.

It sounds like front row is pretty much a dud, too bad.

Thanks for the details Mattias. Very helpful, probably enough
encouragement to get me going on it.

Do you use iTunes all? I took a quick look at your web site and I saw
your slimserver link. Do you use your mini with the slimserver at
all? Have you tried Softsqueeze or any slimserver front-end emulator
on the mac?