[mythtv-users] wireless frontend?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jul 12 19:04:23 UTC 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Stephen Sassman wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of building a frontend for my living room, but the
>> backend is upstairs. Is it possible to use a wireless card to
>> connect to the backend. My backend is connected to a wireless
>> router. I would like to do this, but I have heard that it could be
>> a problem.
>>

> While it is theoretically possible to use an 802.11g link for a
> single SD video, in practice it requires an absolutely ideal
> situation for it to work glitch-free.

I post-processed all my back end recordings to a watchable, but
rather low mpeg4 bit-rate and got my wireless front/backend combo
streaming to 2 wireless front ends without a problem on 802.11g. The
3rd box caused stutter, but still relatively usable.

> You need to have just about perfect signal reception, no interfering
> signals (microwave ovens, 2.4Ghz. cordless phones, other 802.11
> devices etc.) and no 802.11b devices talking on the network.

The trick to getting good g signal is to turn off B on your router so
any devices on the B frequency (other networks, cordless phones,
microwaves, etc) don't interfere.

> Bear in mind that your neighbor's appliances can cause trouble as
> well as your own.

802.11a is a nice alternative. As fast as G and no one really uses it
so you rarely get interference.

> So if you have absolutely no alternative you might give it a try, but
> don't be surprised if the results are less than satisfactory.
>
> The "pre-N" Mimo devices being sold might perform better than
> 802.11g, but the reviews have been very mixed, and there is no
> guarantee that they will be upgradable to the N standard when it is
> finally approved.
>
> The use of highly-directional antennas ("Cantennas" or "Pringle
> Cans") can help by both boosting signal strength and rejecting off-
> axis interference, but whether it would help enough is questionable.
>
> 802.11a is a possibility, in that it is less subject to interference
> than the 2.5Ghz. solutions, but it is more expensive and still
> subject to 5.8Ghz. phones and more potential problems with
> "shadowing" and range limitations.
>
> BTW - folks who have tried the devices that work on the AC wiring of
> their homes have reported very poor results, this is apparently not a
> good alternative.
>
> If it's at all possible, run a wire.

Agreed! I just moved and am planning on a gigabit network for my
frontend/backend combo with the option for front ends to be wired
gigabit or wireless g. Looking forward to high quality video AND the
joy of running myth.

-Brad