[mythtv-users] How to shedule recordings from command line?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 12 16:58:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:39:50AM -0500, Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 7/12/06, Cristo Bolaņos <cbolanos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >And what about telnet support ? wasn't ready for 0.19 ? :? it could be
> >an approach...
>

> The telnet interface is part of mythfrontend, which is what the OP was
> trying to avoid.  It doesn't have explicit support for scheduling, either;
> you can use it to navigate to the appropriate screen, and push in the
> appropriate key presses, but it's not exactly a convenient way to schedule
> anything.
>
> Mythweb really is the cleanest way to do this stuff.  I'm having a hard time
> envisioning a command-line interface that would be usable in any kind of
> general sense.

Well, tvwish is a command line (or at least command line and text file)
interface, though it's goal was specifying shows you want to watch at any
time they should appear rather than specific scheduling of recordings
for the upcoming days.

But it can certainly do that, just put the names of shows into a file using
its syntax and it will schedule recordings of them if they're coming up
immediately.    A more direct set of explicit record commands could easily
be added if it were that popular a request.

I presume he doesn't want to use mythweb (which is a better interface for
this purpose) because he's in a remote location where he can get in with
telnet or ssh but finds access to mythweb difficult.  (Though mythweb
is not that difficult to access if you can ssh, because you can add simple
options to the ssh command line to tunnel through to the web port on your
back end.)

Indeed if you can ssh to your mythweb machine (which does not strictly have
to be your backend, just able to reach the sql server for most operations)
you should add a line to your .ssh/config with a LocalForward <port> 127.0.0.1:80
or similar, and then you can access mythweb through that port.

(tvwish also does not have to be on the backend, it mostly needs access to the
sql server.  To schedule immediate recordings it likes to send a packet to the
backend to have it recalc the sked.)