[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 12 16:33:47 UTC 2006

On 07/12/2006 11:25 AM, Yves De Muyter wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:10:42AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Expected behaviour is to fill your disk up and then auto expire the
>>>live tv recordings first.
>>>

>>Did you have valid guide data for the channel on which you left LiveTV
>>playing?  Was it a channel that has multi-hour blocks per program (i.e.
>>a radio channel/digital music channel or something)?
>>
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188292#188292
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188296#188296
>>

>Looking at the program guide, there was 1 big block (nightly loop).
>
> From the tip in the archives I'll add a split of 60 minutes, as
>a safety measure.

That "tip" was a proposed solution that was never implemented, and,
IMHO, was an unnecessary workaround (which is why I linked you to the
one that explained why the splits wouldn't work instead of the one that
suggested the splits).

The right solution, though, is to stop LiveTV when you're not watching
it...  Another solution is to get more hard drives.  ;)

If, however, you plan to leave LiveTV playing overnight, often, you
could add splits, but you'll have to do it by editing the XMLTV data
(Myth doesn't allow you to do this).

Also, if the problem is that you're falling asleep during the
commercials in LiveTV ;), check out the "Sleep" menu--hit MENU ('M') in
LiveTV and scroll to "Sleep".  There you can specify that Myth should
turn off playback in 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.  (You can also toggle
the sleep timer with the TOGGLESLEEP key (by default 'F8'), which cycles
through 30, 60, 90, 120 minutes then off.)

Mike