[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 18:40:36 UTC 2006

On 11/07/06, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:

> Alternately, it may be
> finding an old GRUB/LILO installation on the IDE disk and booting from
> that instead - is there any way to force the BIOS to boot from SCSI
> before IDE?  Usually SCSI is a separate boot option than the normal hard
> disk boot.  You could also check whether the menu is coming up properly
> without the IDE disk installed.

This is my hunch on why adding the IDE drive could be causing the
trouble. In the BIOS there is commonly a "Hard Disk Boot
Priority"option that will allow booting from any of the IDE ports
(HDD0, HDD1, etc) and also , importantly, booting from an "Add-in
card" such as a SCSI card or onboard RAID - this is the option you
want to select and ensure the system is set to boot from the SCSI
add-in card.

If the SCSI drive boots the system normally when the IDE drive is not
connected (and your grub install only references sda) I think it's
fair to say your grub configuration is OK.

> CMOS set to boot from Hard Drive 0

This makes we wonder whether the IDE drive 0 (Primary master) does
indeed have some kind of installation on it that is interfering with
boot. If the IDE drive is not connected, the system may proceed to try
all IDE ports and then, if no IDE boot devices are found, end up
booting from the SCSI drive (again depending on boot priority order).
With a bootable IDE drive attached, it only gets as far as the IDE
drive and the SCSI drive is not used for boot.

You might want to use a LiveCD tool like gparted to check the contents
of the IDE drive and then remove any existing partitions from the IDE
drive until the system can boot normally into the OS with both drives
attached, then configure the IDE drive from within the OS.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/