[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Jul 11 17:47:20 UTC 2006

On Wed Jul 12, 2006 at 02:12:41AM +1000, Bruce Nordstrand wrote:

> Robin Hill wrote:
> > I'd suggest removing/commenting out the splashimage and hiddenmenu lines
> > in your menu.lst - this'll make sure you aren't missing anything.  You
> > can then check whether the menu you're given at boot is the one you're
> > expecting (at the menu, choose to edit the command and make sure it
> > matches your menu.lst).  Also check that the SCSI drive is picked up
> > correctly during the boot process, and is mapped to /dev/sda.
> >
> Thanks Robin
>
> I went ahead and edited menu.lst, taking out the splash and hiddenmen
> plus I upped the timeout to 120. But....it doesn't even present a menu,
> it dies well before that by the looks.
>
> Back to square one....

Not quite - if you're not getting a menu then it's not reading your
menu.lst at all.  What actually comes up during boot?  After the BIOS
screens, you should get a brief message from GRUB (something about
finding an old GRUB/LILO installation on the IDE disk and booting from
that instead - is there any way to force the BIOS to boot from SCSI
before IDE?  Usually SCSI is a separate boot option than the normal hard
disk boot.  You could also check whether the menu is coming up properly
without the IDE disk installed.

Cheers,
        Robin
--