[mythtv-users] UK 'top-up tv' - how?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:45:28 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Jo Shields <directhex at apebox.org> wrote:

<snip />

> The question I've never seen answered is: does MythTV (or indeed Linux)
> support a software CAM driver fed a subscription via a smartcard reader?
> I don't know. I bought specific hardware to avoid the question.

Officially, no. There is no support for a Soft CAM in Myth, as such a
system is typically only used for the illegal piracy of Satellite
feeds.

However, a little judicious searching of the net will come up with a
community of enthusiasts that independently build patches for Myth so
it could work in this manner.

(Sorry if I'm being a little circumspect here, but I'm trying to avoid
tripping any potential DCMA problems our US users might have, and to
avoid treading on Isaac's toes as I believe he's said he doesn't want
this kind of thing discussed).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston