[mythtv-users] UK 'top-up tv' - how?

Paul Fowler Paul.Fowler at reuters.com
Tue Jul 11 14:54:50 UTC 2006

I have my myth tv system working hapily with four DVB tuner cards (4x
Twinhan DVB-Ter D+A model 3054) reciving the 'free' channels known as
'freeview'.

Now I am interested in subscribing to top-up tv, and was wondering if
this could be integrated into myth tv.

None of my DVB cards have a CI interface so I was wondering if it is
possible to attach the top-up tv CAM via a pcmcia interface and have one
(or all) of the tuners (via driver) use it as necessary to decrypt the
transmission stream.

Alternatively is there a software cam which could talk to the
subscription card and decrypt the transmission stream.

I am guessing the can would appead as another device in
/dev/dvb/AdapterXYZ and could be used in place of the conventional
adapter ?? Just a guess, don't shoot me down ;-)

Also, if any of the above is possible, is it also possible to decrypt
more than one stream at a time using just one subscription and CAM. If
not then can scheduled recordings be postprocessed to decrypt for later
viewing.

I have no intention of receiving material which I have not paid a
subscription to.

Any help or comments would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Paul.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.