[mythtv-users] PVR-350 remote?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:46:56 UTC 2006

On 7/10/06, Henrik Gammelmark <mythtv at geemark.com> wrote:
> I am having difficulties understanding how lirc works with the PVR-350
> remote (the "new" one) and MythTV.

I'm far from an expert (why I didn't respond at 1st), but I recently
got mine working so will offer what I can.

> I have installed lirc, and lircd is running as a deamon.
> In /etc/lirc/lircd.conf I have pasted the mapping from IR signals to
> names, that I found on the net.
>
> In /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc, I have put the mappings from the latter
> names onto Myth commands.

Just ensure that it is for the "new" version of the remote.  There
were 3 different versions that were incompatible (or so I've
heard--I've only got the new one).

> When I run mythfrontend, it connects to the lircd deamon (or at least
> some socket somewhere), and it reads the lircrc file fine (at least it
> doesn't report errors, and complaints if the file is not there).
>
> My problem then is, that when mythfrontend starts up, the keys are all
> messed up. E.g. the "8" key is up, while "2" is down etc. Does
> mythfrontend ignore the mappings in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf because it
> autodetects a PVR-350, and uses some built-in mappings from the old
> PVR-350 remote (which has different IR mappings, I read somewhere)?

Which screen does it do this on?  It is documented that in some
screens the numbers act like the cursor keys on a PC numeric keypad,
so indeed 8 would be up, 2 down, 4 left, 6 right.

If this is somewhere that numbers would make sense though ignore that comment.

> Other weird symptons:
> - The lircd deamon seams to shut down whenever mythfrontend starts
> - "irw" terminates instantly and also seem to kill the lircd deamon

Aha!!!  This sounds like what I had:

-  Boot up or restard lircd.
-  First irw returns immediately with no error
-  (lircd dies)
-  Subsequent irw invocations error out "connection refused."

If that is what you see, check your logs (/var/log/messages on FC3, I
presume on Debian as well) for an error about can't open /dev/lirc.
If that's the case, and /dev has a /dev/lirc0, modify your lircd
startup script to change

lircd

lircd -d lirc0

(from memory here.  Hope that's right.  Not at the box right now.  If
it doesn't like that argument, search the archives--that's where I
found it or post back and I'll check tonight).

Then kill and restart lircd.  Hopefully that fixes it.

> Using Debian testing on linux 2.6.16.20.
> Running MythTV 0.19.20060121-2 (SVN) with PVR-350 and PVR-500.

DS