[mythtv-users] Sort of OT - Attn Aussies

Shanon Mulley shanonmulleyster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 05:27:41 UTC 2006

I see where your wife is coming  from actually. MythTV was my first
foray into linux, and beleive me, it was pain on a stick. Took me over
a month or so to get it working (maybe closer to 2).

And was it worth it? Well, it depends on your perspective. If all I
wanted was a fancy VCR, then I would say not. The pain involved in
building the thing was to great. But I saw this thing as more then
that - I saw it as a chance to learn about linux (so maybe I can ditch
windows from my other machines in the future), a challenge in general,
a web server, as well as a fancy VCR.

Interestingly enough, the biggest impact this has had on my life is
that I watch less TV now. In the past, when something I wanted to
watch was on, I would have to either watch it there and then, or miss
it. I usually opted to watch it. Now I can easily record it, and watch
it at a more convenient time. About 50% of the stuff I record though,
I dont bother watching. I always have something better to do. When I
sit down to watch something it has recorded, I pick out a few shows
that I really watch to watch, and leave the rest there for "later".