[mythtv-users] digital tv card?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 15:21:24 UTC 2006

--- Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is a good tv card able to handle digital cable?
> I've got 350+ channels
> and I would like to record some stuff  ;-)
>
> --
> Timothy Waters
> timothy.waters at gmail.com
> http://www.e-Waters.org
> 205-587-9001
>
> "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than
> to speak out and remove
> all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
>
> "It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature
> the evil spirit of
> man." Albert Einstein(1946)

The best "card" is the set-top box that comes with
your digital cable, fed into a PVR-x50 card, being
controlled by an IRBlaster (or serial port).
Alternatively, the set-top box that comes with your
digital cable, using Firewire.  (By now, Firewire
capture may be better than S-Video in, I'm not sure -
Firewire is the only way you'll get HD, but I've done
neither of these methods, so I can't really comment on
that.)

I say this because most of those channels that you get
will be encrypted, and to decrypt them, you need the
set-top box/PVR that your cable company gave you.  For
the unencrypted channels, if they are broadcast on QAM
as MPEG-2, you can use a QAM-capable card (many of the
ATSC cards are QAM capable now).

-- Joe