[mythtv-users] overscan setting

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:18:52 UTC 2006

On 7/10/06, Will Constable <willconstable at gmail.com> wrote:
> My mythfrontend runs on s-video to a 32 inch TV.  With default settings, the
> picture is not square- it is surrounded by a black border on the TV screen,
> and appears pinched on the sides.  To avoid this, I am trying to set the
> overscan option using xorg.conf Option "TVOverScan" "0.6" which I found on
> some website.  My card is nvidia and this option works, but does too much.
> With overscan on I lose a lot of the edge of my screen and can't see parts
> of menus and captions as a result.  I have tried changing the number 0.6 but
> it does not seem to have any effect.  Does anyone know how to fine-tune this
> option and find a medium between no overscan and the amount that I get with
> the 0.6 option set?

Option "TVOverScan" can be set to any value between 0.0 and 1.0, as
documented in Appendix H of the NVIDIA README file.  It would be nice
if NVIDIA made this adjustable through the nvidia-settings tool,
because every time you want to try a new value, the Xserver has to be
stopped and restarted.

It's a good idea to read through the README file, at least once, so
you will have seen the whole list of parameters that can be adjusted
using the NVIDIA driver.

--
MM