[mythtv-users] FC5 VIA XvMC What Am I Missing?

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 21:57:32 UTC 2006

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:53:31 -0400
From: "Jake Thompson" <jake at jakethompson.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FC5 VIA XvMC What Am I
Missing?
To: "Discussion about mythtv"
<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Jake,

I think I'm understanding my stutter problem better
and I also think it's not the result of the same
problem you had.

I'm running the Unichrome Pro chipset on an ECS
P4M800Pro-M mobo and the Pro is supposed to work with
HD mpeg2.  Xine appears to be functional, but not
mythtv.  Myth is usable for 1080i, though it drops
some video frames with the audio enabled, but it's not
usable for 720p.  If the audio is disabled and I
monitor the frame rate reports using the "mythfrontend
-v playback" option, the framerate never gets above
about 50 fps whereas is should be 60 fps. CPU is about
60% or less.

The audio stuttering is due to Myth trying to keep the
audio in sync by inserting dead spots in the audio to
keep the audio from getting ahead of the slightly slow
video.  I have the same problem when playing "live TV"
or recordings--there's no difference.

I tried compiling source from SVN, but no improvement.
 I tried XvMC VLD too, but it seems to be buggy and
also has a scaling problem ("shutter blind effect")
with 720p that I can't work around like before by
setting a slight vertical underscan setting in Myth.

I'm going to have one more go with Knoppmyth and see
if it knows how to setup this board.  If not, the
board is going back to Fry's!  I have a lowly Sempron
KT600 based board with an FX-5200 video card that
works pretty well.  I'm beginning to realize the only
video adapter that works acceptably well for HD may
the FX-5200/5500!  I have an Intel GMA900 board in the
basement somewhere so I'll try that one instead of
this Unichrome board, but it only has the "MC" in XvMC
(no iDCT :().

Cal

-Cal