[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Sun Jul 9 02:32:23 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> Not related to your primary problem but it's generally not a good
> idea to put a hard drive and an optical drive on the same IDE channel.
>
> Unless of course you have no options, perhaps your mobo has only one
> IDE connector ?

Hehehe, I know. I just don't have a spare IDE cable at the moment! :)

> Just a personal opinion, but I really wonder if 18GB of additional
> storage warrants the hassle of trying to make SCSI and IDE play nice
> together.
>
> You really don't need the capability of the SCSI drive for a Myth
> system, IDE drives are more than fast enough for that.
>
> Granted it should be possible to do what you are trying, but is it
> really worth it for an additional 9 hours of storage ?
>
> You are really going to want more than the 40Gb of storage that you
> have, I can guarantee that.
>
> I'd save that nice SCSI card and drive for a system that could really
> make use of them :-)
>
> <joke>
>
> I'd certainly trade you a 500GB IDE drive for that scsi card :-)
>
> </joke>

I know this is a somewhat strange and limited setup but it is the only
spare machine I have. This machine is purely to gain a good WAF level.
Having the SCSI and IDE in the machine has sort of become a mission now
- I don't like being beaten by a computer! I know it can be done and
just want to prove I can do it. That said, it depends on what appears on
ebay as to whether I can get any more SCSI drives. When I bought the
pair of drives (yes there was 2 of them - 1 died) they set me back
A$750.00 each!

Oh, and I am a firm believer of separating system from data, a bit of a
throw back from when I ran Windoze. So I figured that the 18GB would
just be the install data and additional IDE's for my data. If all goes
well with my test, I would be throwing another MB in this machine. We'll
see :)

LOL! at the trade....ya never know, I might be interested!! :-)

Cheers
Bruce