[mythtv-users] Rename Recorded Files

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 8 21:34:34 UTC 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 07/08/06 15:51, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> On Jul 8, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Jeff Hardy wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a little perl script called mythfindfile to find and
>>> optionally
>>> rename files on the filesystem to a more human-readable format and
>>> update the DB accordingly.  It works for me.  If anyone is
>>> interested,
>>> it is available at http://fritz.potsdam.edu/projects/mythtvstuff.
>>> Comments are welcome.
>>>

>> Very nice. The search ability is both new and useful, at least to me.
>>

> So, how about a ticket/patch posted to http://svn.mythtv.org/ to
> incorporate the search functionality into mythrename.pl.

Since mythrename.pl is in the "contrib" directory I would not think
that a ticket/patch would be appropriate, as it is not part of MythTV
proper, but I am certainly not authoritative on such matters.

Obviously if the original author (Chris Petersen) wanted to make
changes/updates to his work I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.
Clearly as well, since the script specifically indicates GPL
licensing, we are all free to modify it, as long as we follow the
normal GPL rules.

Jeff's script might want to go into "contrib" as well, but I have no
idea what criteria are used to determine what goes in there.

I will say that despite the fact that the MythTV devs have properly
disclaimed responsibility for the content of "contrib", everything in
there seems to be functional and "safe", so whatever the selection
criteria are, they seem to be working well.