[mythtv-users] 350TV out second Monitor

Go Hskrs gohskrs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 13:51:22 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, jphughes at optonline.net <jphughes at optonline.net> wrote:

> Yes duel head or tow screens is what I have had working in the past when
> using software decoding and not the 350TV out . It worked fine .  I have
> tried to duplicate a a xorg conf file with tow screen using the basic  xorg
> file  form Jarrods  and then adding a second screen and devise but  I cant
> get it to work. It comes up with error  on the crt/monitor  screen
> resolution not supported  and their is no output from the 350 card. I get
> get an xorg file that gives me a desktop and out put to the 350 but then the
> guide show up on the crt monitor.
>
> I was hoping someone had actually done this and coould give examples on
> how it could be done. Regards,

I've done something similar.  Hopefully my experience will help you.  I have
an LCD monitor (screen 0) and a PVR-350 TV out (screen 1) with X running on
both.  The TV out is located to the "right" of my LCD in my X
configuration.  Distro is Fedora Core 5 running on an AMD Athlon overclocked
to 900MHz (please try not to laugh) and the aforementioned Hauppauge
PVR-350.

Here's the process I followed to get this configuration to work:

   - Configured X on the LCD monitor (actually, this was done
   automatically for me by the FC5 install);
   - Backed up /etc/X11/xorg.conf to xorg.conf.lcd;
   - Tweaked Jarod's example
xorg.conf<http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/xorg.conf-PVR350.txt>for the
PVR-350 to fit my configuration (it became
   xorg.conf.tvout);
   - Copied xorg.conf.tvout to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   - As root, ran gdm-restart to bounce X and restart it on the TV;
   - Tweaked X some more on the TV until I was happy with it and recopied
   xorg.conf to xorg.conf.tvout;
   - Merged xorg.conf.lcd and xorg.conf.tvout into xorg.conf.twinhead;
      - This step required changing all instances of Screen0 in
      xorg.conf.tvout to Screen1.
      - Copied xorg.conf.twinhead to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ran
   gdm-restart again.  X started up with two screens: LCD monitor is :0.0,
   and TV-out is :0.1.  The mouse pointer moves between them just like
   you'd expect.  (Another online reference mentioned the need to add a "Load
   xtrap" line to xorg.conf to allow the mouse to traverse both screens,
   but I didn't find that necessary.)

My xorg.conf.twinhead file is included below.

To start MythTV on the TV out:
$ export DISPLAY=:0.1
$ mythfrontend

Exporting the $DISPLAY environment variable ensures that all the programs
mythfrontend calls will also display on the TV out.  I've exercised most of
the MythTV functions (Watch TV, play DVD, play music, MythWeather, etc.) and
everything seems to work fine.

I tried this first; it doesn't work:
$ mythfrontend -display :0.1

because when I select "Play DVD", mythfrontend starts MPlayer, but it shows
up on my LCD screen (the default display), not the TV out.

Hope that helps.

-=-=- xorg.conf.twinhead -=-=-
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "DualHead"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "NTSC Monitor"
        HorizSync  30-68
        VertRefresh 50-120
        Mode "720x480"
          DotClock 34.564
          HTimings 720 752 840 928
          VTimings 480 484 488 504
          Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT]"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Driver      "ivtvdev"

        Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
        Option      "ivtv" "/dev/fb1"

        BusID "PCI:0:18:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen1"
        Device      "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Monitor     "NTSC Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        DefaultFbbpp 32
        Subsection "Display"