[mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice

Paul Simpson paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com
Sat Jul 8 13:00:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

Like a lot of people, I'm looking at putting together a Myth system for as
little cash as possible!

I'm looking at having a dedicated backend and about half a dozen front
ends around the house all linked with Gigabit Ethernet.

For the backend, what's the best storage to go for? SATA or PATA? What are
the benefits for the cost of SATA? I'm thinking of going hardware Raid5
and want as much potential space as possible. What controller cards are
people using for this? What about drives? I'm thinking of having a
seperate drive for swap (and boot if the raid card doesn't support it).
Then there are cases, I'd like to go rack-mount if possible.

I'm in the UK and also looking for suppliers.

Advice gratefully accepted.

--
Paul