[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Aaron Harwood aharwood at aerosoul.com.au
Sat Jul 8 07:18:38 UTC 2006

On 08/07/2006, at 1:23 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:

> The problem is trust.  In this case, there are reasons for people to
> try to screw up the system.   TV networks don't want you skipping
> ads, they would be well motivated to insert peers that pass you
> "distilled" information from thousands of other users that's bogus.
> Or positive reviews of their tv shows telling you to watch them.

They could do this to a centralized system as well I suppose, e.g. using
a (privately funded) zombie army to distort the information.

> So then you need a system to be able to identify peers, give them
> repuatations, ignore their info if you learn it's bogus, and this all
> has to work if they inserted info indirectly via other peers.

Yes. That would be nice.

> And once you discover they are bogus, do you share it?

I would think not.

> How do you stop
> them from creating a fresh identity with no bad rep and inserting bad
> info again?

You cannot, I guess (they've paid their price to society). But a
fresh identity
has no reputation and can be treated as such.

> Again this cries for centralization.

I don't agree. But I guess we should take this offline, maybe to holy
wars
mailing list :)

> Sharing bits of video doesn't (and has copyright issues as well.)

Yes, it has copyright issues. Hopefully the copyright issues can be
resolved.
Maybe the "copying 10% is okay" rule applies.

>> Did we meet at CodeCon earlier this year?
> Quite possibly.

We presented the "Localhost" software.

>> Yeah. Cut lists would not be very big and they would likely compress
>> a lot since
>> commercials are reasonably regularly spaced and so forth.
>
> By not big, we're talking a few score bytes.   Tiny fractions of
> packets.  There are no bandwidth wins here with P2P.

I agree. The wins come in other places.

>>> Except that running the central server for a particular show
>>> would be
>>> little higher than the load of being a peer in a true P2P network.
>>
>> But still, someone has to run it. What happens when they stop running
>> it?
>
> There's no reason to have only one.  But there's no reason to have
> a million
> either.

So it should be made dynamic and adjustable according to demand/
reliability...

> Anyway, if you want to try a P2P system, check with Isaac.   He may
> not be
> willing to do it.   He said a central recommendation system would
> be run by
> him only, and he gets to decide what goes in myth core.

I don't know Isaac.

--a