[mythtv-users] 350TV out second Monitor

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:37:53 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, David Schmidt <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The following thread might lead to help in getting a dual head (dual
> > screen) setup working.
> >
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/202127?search_string=nvidia%20twinview%20problems;#202127
>
> The linked thread is about twinview, which if I understand it is
> cloning a single interface to two monitors.  I believe the OP, and I
> know I, was referring to 2 separate interfaces so the "real" monitor
> acts like a standard desktop and the TV acts like a PVR, without
> having to move the mouse off the edge of screens to give them focus.
>

> > I highly recommend taking the trouble to get dual heads working
> > because turning on just a single monitor, as opposed to your entire
> > entertainment center equipment, makes it very nice to make changes,
> > check on last night's recordings, or test something new you just
> > learned from this mailing list.
> >
> Or even more so in my case where it would be really nice for one
> spouse to be able to surf the web/play games/whatever while another
> uses the Myth installation....

Yes, Twinview is discussed in that thread.  But, if you read through
the thread thoroughly, there is a link (also named "twinview" -
erroneously) to an xorg.conf file that uses Appendix P of the NVIDIA
README file.

That link is what helped me to get two heads (screens) up with the
capability of using the small monitor to quickly look inside the
system.  Not having to power up all the home entertainment equipment,
just to see if everything was recorded overnight, is SO nice, I can't
recommend Dual Head highly enough!

Again, let me be as clear as I can, Dual Head is not Twinview.
Twinview may be useful for MythTV - I don't know - I've never tried
it.  Dual Head is the only way to go.  It seems that there is nothing
to lose, and a second screen to gain.  On that second screen, surf the
web, play games, whatever.  I have even run a second MythTV frontend
on it, but only to check on MythTVs health.  (Only one of the
frontends can use the sound, but I guess that could be solved.)

A question: What is "the OP" ?

--
MM