[mythtv-users] TVWish - just a note for new users

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jul 7 08:15:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:00:42AM +0200, Harald Overas wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have not tried tvwish yet, but does this perl program integrate well with
> mythtv 0.19?
> I live in a PAL country (Norway) and must use xmltv with the grabber
> tv_grab_no. I use the xmltv filter tv_imdb to do a check against the imdb
> database for getting the score ratings and so on.
> So my question is can the tvwish do the same as I a do with the tv_imdb
> filter utility?
> Can you get tvwish as a rpm package ?
> Do you know if it compile well under Fedora Core 5? Dependency problems?

Alas, it can't do quite as much with xmltv grabbing as with datadirect, but it
can still do a lot of the basics.  I haven't tested it in this environment myself
though.    You can certainly do movie wishlists and some series stuff but the
system prefers to use the unique program IDs found in datadirect.  It tries to
synthesize unique ids from title/subtitle if it can't see a programid.

Likewise things like pilot episode detection won't work well without episode numbers.

Works fine with 0.19, I run it with SVN trunk, actually.  And I have some patches,
not yet submitted, to do suggestions more seriously, creating a table of past
suggestions and knowing what recordings were and weren't suggestions to do better
at it.   (ie. ignore suggestions when calculating your history.)  Also displays them
in a different font.

There is no rpm.  It's just a perl program.  You untar it, and run it right
where you unpack it.   I tried to use perl modules that are present on all
systems so there should, in theory be no dependencies but let me know if your
system does not have any of the perl libs.