[mythtv-users] Raid Performance Tweaking

Dean Wilson dean.k.wilson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 21:54:16 UTC 2006

In my case, the mythbox is also hosting a web and email server, and is
acting as a firewall for all the internal computers.  I also have two
high def, and one standard def tuners, which frequently all record at
the same time.  So there's plenty of disk read/writes, which seems to
be slowing playback down.

In using it with 5 disks configured with Raid5, (which, to my
understanding, is slower to write to than when writing to a single
disk, since it has to write additional parity bits to the nth drive) I
noticed that HD playback stuttered any time that it was also recording
another HD show.  I had DMA turned on, but haven't been able to get
past my playback issue when the drives were being written to.  I'm
currently reconfiguring my system anyway, so I thought I'd run the
test to see which configuration worked best.

(The rest of my system shouldn't be suspect, as it's an AMD X2 4200+
with 1GB ram.)

Any other configuration thought/suggestions would be welcome...
~Dean