[mythtv-users] Anybody tried the VIA EPIA EN12000E?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jul 6 21:11:13 UTC 2006

Dylan Keon wrote:
> I'm building a fanless, diskless front end soon, and I'm eyeing the new
> VIA EPIA EN12000E motherboard
> (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/mini_itx/epia_en/index.jsp).
>   Has anyone used one of these with MythTV yet?  If so, have you had
> success with HDTV streams?  I didn't find any references in the
> archives.  Thanks.

It's not likely you would find anything in the archives about the
EN12000 as it is brand new!

The chipset is basically the same as the SP13000 which I am using for
SD. I have downloaded and played 1 or 2 HD clips on my monitor but the
VT1623 TV encoder in the SP13000 will not do HD. It is limited to
1024x768... which is about what you can get with an S-Video output
anyway. My box outputs through the S-video without problems. I am using
a modulator to feed a Sony 26" Trinitron which was built in about 1983!

The VT1625 is reported (by VIA) to be able to do HD out, but note that
you will have to use the YPbPr component headers on the motherboard,
since, again, S-video will not do HD levels.

But the board should be great as a front end, presuming you have an HD
capable screeen to show it on and the proper cabling.

Geoff