[mythtv-users] TVWish - just a note for new users

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:44:06 UTC 2006

If you're relatively new to MythTV, you may not be aware of tvwish, so
I'm posting a little reminder since I find it so useful. I've been
using tvwish for some time and have discovered many great movies, and
the relatively new suggest feature has found some interesting things
for me as well.

If you have a new mythtv setup and are still watching LiveTV all the
time because you don't know what to record, tvwish can quickly change
that for you. If you think 200gb of disk is enough space, tvwish can
change your mind. Also, I find tvwish to be the best and most
effective way to "record this moving the next time it plays on TV"
just by editing a file and adding a line to it - then weeks, months,
or maybe even years later, it gets recorded automatically.

-Ross

http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/tvwish.html

What are the key things TVWish lets you do?

    * Generate/grab a list of the hundreds of top movies you wish to
see someday, and arrange for them to be recorded if they are ever on
TV. Instead of browsing what movies are on in the next 2 weeks, just
pick all your movies at once, and eventually they'll show up.
    * Look for and record the pilot episodes of hundreds of the top TV
series of all time, in case you missed them, or want to try them out.
    * Grab a list of all the episodes of a TV show with rankings, and
then record and watch only the best episodes, avoiding the turkeys. Do
anything from all but the worst on good series to only the very top on
occasionally good series. I call this an "abridged" TV series.
    * Record all of a series except for a list of exceptions --
episodes you have already seen, or known turkeys.
    * Record episodes of a series in order, even if they are not
airing in order.
    * Import lists generated by others -- critics, friends, other
watchers even programs that amalgamate -- by fetching from a web URL.
A critic you trust can make a recommendation in the morning that
causes your recorder to automatically record the show that night.
    * Generate recordings for "suggestions" (similar to Tivo) which
match your tastes and prior recording choices.
    * Place wish results in a lower priority and autoexpire class so
they only go into spare disk space, never interfering with more
important recordings.