[mythtv-users] Eliminating a ground loop/hum

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 04:42:26 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 7/5/06, Owen Mehegan <owen at nerdnetworks.org> wrote:
> >
> > cable. Audio is routed as follows:
> >
> > cable box -> myth box -> tv -> Sony home theater receiver/speakers
> >
> > All of that is done via basic RCA cables. My problem is that I have an
> > intermittent 60hz hum in the audio. I hear it whether I'm watching TV or

I had a terrible problem with this, and one solution, that lowered the
volume, but did not eliminate the hum, was to buy a thr prong plug and
strip out the ground wire and wrap that around my coax shield.
Perhaps if I soldered like Owen suggests, it would have eliminated it.

One thing that did work wonders was going optical (or SP/DIF) with my
audio out.  That, coupled with a DVI->HDMI converter for the video
elimianted all the problems (had a rolling bar from a grounding issue
on the tv).

Now I can't even listen to music with my windows box, because the hum
is so noticable.