[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 04:09:02 UTC 2006

On 7/4/06, Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 09:20 -0400, Ryan Steffes wrote:
>

> > I recently upgraded my kernel and haven't had the problem since.  It's
> > too soon to tell for sure because I also cleared up some disk space,
> > but this is the first full week of uptime I've actually had in a very
> > long time.  I've had no glitches, crashes, or other problems since I
> > upgraded.  I'm now running 2.6.12-22mdk (Mandriva's kernel package)
> > and was running 2.6.12-12mdk, so it may be worth inquiring to see if
> > there's something they've fixed in the last couple months that may be
> > related.
>
> The problem as I understand it isn't due to how much free space you have
> as much as it is due to the total fragmentation of the space that is
> available. That is why some people would see the problem one week at
> 20gb free, and not see it the next week until 15-16gb free.
>
> I'm sure it also matters when/if you transcode your recordings. If you
> transcode all your recordings one at time during the night when no other
> recordings are going on, I would expect this process to be like a
> mini-defrag, assuming you have enough defragmented space available to
> fit the newly transcoded recording. Of course if you are recording while
> the transcode is going on, that would probably just make the problem
> even worse.
>
> When I posted to the ReiserFS list Hans seemed to think we're hitting a
> corner case or bug in an optimization routine, because from what I have
> seen the problem doesn't worsen over time, rather it all of a sudden
> hits and brings the machine to its knees.
>
> I urge you guys to join the ReiserFS list to help track down the issue
> so we can get it fixed. I know for myself there is pretty much no way I
> can convert file systems without losing the vast majority of my
> recordings.
>
> In fact Jeff posted a patch that _may_ fix or least help the issue:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=reiserfs&m5168608000310&w=2
> I haven't had a chance to test it out myself yet.
>
> --
> Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>

Apparently, I spoked too soon, as I returned home tonight to a locked
machine.  I too have far more recordings then is possible for me to move.
On top of my recordings, I also have my entire DVD collection and music
collection ripped to the same partition.  Where is the list we should join?
All I'm seeing is an archive.

Ryan