[mythtv-users] Asking before upgrading the schema

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 18:46:44 UTC 2006

On 04/07/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> I'm also not going to be submitting any patch myself---I'm hoping to
> encourage someone else to do something easy once discussion settles
> down---because I'm not running SVN.  Why?  (a) I don't have the spare
> hardware and must run a stable release for the production machines we
> are using for our research, and (b) there's no -way- I'd allow -any-
> SVN machine on our network until this very bug is actually fixed, lest
> some test SVN machine accidentally get configured to point to the real
> MBE---in which case, it would instantly break the MBE by upgrading its
> DB past the version for which the MBE was even compiled.  I'd rather
> not take that risk.

I posted the same POV back in April
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/195333#195333). I
was caught out by this when blindly installing a new remote frontend
via atrpms which had upgraded to the newer release version.

The casual user just needs to realise the project is not aimed at the
unwashed masses but the knowledgeable and productive MythTV
developers, who will all likely be running latest SVN and so will not
get bitten by this (IMO ridiculous) 'wontfix' bug. That's not to say
the unwashed masses cannot run MythTV very successfully however!

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/