[mythtv-users] Asking before upgrading the schema

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Jul 4 13:22:32 UTC 2006

    Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:05:08 -0400
    From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    On 06/29/2006 10:57 AM, Paul Barker wrote:
    > Paul Barker wrote:

    > Never mind I think I may have answered my own question. I ran a SVN
    > frontend on a test box and I guess it upgraded the schema :(

    Yep.  That's the problem.  Good luck with the restore.  :)

I've broken this off into a new thread because the original one didn't
directly relate to this.

So consider what happened above---yet another user screwed by an
accidental, unannounced, unwanted schema upgrade who wasted his time
and the list's dealing with the consequences.

It happens every few weeks, just judging by list traffic, and probably
more often by people who realized they've been screwed but don't
actually post about it.

Is there some reason why Myth doesn't -ASK- first?  If someone
submitted a patch to make it ask, would it be accepted?

People who want to be continually upgrading can set a DB flag to "go
ahead without even notifying me", but those who don't -think- they're
in the middle of an upgrade presumably would have left this at the
default and will have a chance of stopping a disastrous one-way trip
when they're asked, out of the blue, "Hey, are you -sure- you want to
upgrade your DB schema?"

Even those who -do- run backups may not figure out that a recent
change in behavior was due to a rogue schema update until -after-
their backups are overwritten and destroyed, unless they keep a large
stack of backups just in case.  I do, but most people don't.

And remember, it currently takes only -one- rogue machine anywhere on
your network to bash the MBE's DB schema without warning---this could
even include a friend with a newer FE on a laptop using your network,
as I mentioned in a previous stab at this.