[mythtv-users] AU Specific Questions

Andrew Congdon andrew.congdon at iplatinum.com.au
Mon Jul 3 23:37:24 UTC 2006

> What would be the best Australian available capture cards to install to
> suit out input sources? I would probably upgrade to free-to-air digital
> in this process. I would like to record/view both free-to-air and Foxtel
> channels, preferably at the same time (the whole point of building this PVR)

Sounds like your highest priority is digital reception. The digital
channels are on slightly different frequencies to the analogue signals.
For example the Illawarra channels and coverage are:

http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/largemap.asp?transmissionid=5444&presdir=
http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22

There are also newer co-site UHF repeaters, for example I use the Kings
Cross repeater only. Someone else mentioned the Manly one.

Some DVB-T cards are more sensitive than others. I find my older Hauppauge
Nova DVB-T card more sensitive than my KWorld card. This resulted in fewer
dropouts before I replaced my aerial with a smaller one from Lacey's for
UHF only.

For paytv I've used the PVR 150 MCE card with a serial ir blaster for
changing channels.

I use a Marmitek RF remote. This is one of the keys for my WAF (but she
still points it at the screen :-)

--
Andrew