[mythtv-users] Plextor

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 3 16:24:40 UTC 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Harry Lipkind wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup a Plextor ConvertXPVR (PX-TV402U) with MytTV.
> This
> isn't the first "card" I have setup with MythTV but I am stuck!  I
> have
> looked at the archive and other people are using this with MythTV.
>
> Does anyone have a clean set of instructions on how to do this?  I am
> using a 2.6.16... kernel and I may have just a couple of things
> misset -
> I am seeing that MythTV "can't open the device".
>
> All help appreciated.  Thanks in advance

I used to use a couple of those without  problems. It is (as you've
probably noticed) one of the selectable types of capture devices.

But you have to have the drivers correctly installed. This will
depend a bit on how you installed Myth.

I know that MythDora is set up to install the drivers properly for
you, and, at least with 0.18, KnoppMyth was as well.

If you're rolling your own Myth installation you will have to get and
compile the drivers and arrange for them to be installed on your own
(unless they've been added to Myth since I built my system). Running
the wis-go7007 compilation and installation should get the firmware,
modules and udev rules installed properly.

'Can't open device" sounds like it isn't there, although it could be
a permission problem. It should show up as a /dev/video device. just
as a PVR would.

You want to be sure the required modules are loaded. When I was
running Gentoo I had to plug in the Plextor after the system was up
in order to get them to load properly.

You probably want to install the drivers and try the gorecord utility
that comes with them to make sure your driver modules are working
before you try it with Myth. If it works with the gorecord app it
should work with Myth.