[mythtv-users] PostgreSQL

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 3 14:45:40 UTC 2006

On 07/03/2006 10:22 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> I'm starting to wonder if this topic was pointless, I got bounces e-
>>> mail
>>> from the developer of the patch for postgresql and the mythtv dev
>>> team
>>> has no interest in supporting it :( it would be real nice if I didn't
>>> even have to run a DB for my PVR at all.
>>>
>> I think the use of a DB is to a large extent what gives Myth its
>> power, it was a design decision at the very beginning that has stood
>> the project in good stead.
>>

> I think what the original poster was suggesting is that he wishes he
> didn't have to maintain a DB along with his PVR setup. I agree it
> would be nice to have an embedded DB like SQLite that it still
> powerful but doesn't really require maintenance. Backing up and
> restoring is a breeze, too. However, you sacrifice some speed (in
> complex queries and large databases) when you go this route.

And testing of SQLite shows that you sacrifice too much speed for Myth's
purposes (at least at this point)...  Straight from the guy who started
the MythTV project:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/203898#203898

But, if you don't want to maintain a DB, there's always another route:
http://www.tivo.com/

Mike