[mythtv-users] XvMC

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Sat Jul 1 01:01:16 UTC 2006

>>> I am running a nVidia 5500 video card and have been trying to get
>>> XvMC to work...

>> speed. > The video is otherwise perfect. The audio maintains sync -
>> slow with a > constant stutter.
>>
>>> It does this both with no de-interlace and with BOB de-interlace.

>> back > to the desktop while watching tv systematically locks up the
>> system > requiring a hard-reset.
>>

> This sounds like the nVidia OpenGL vsync problem with drivers after
> 7xxx. This is why we recommended a particular version of the nVidia
> driver when the 0.19 release came out.
>
> If you use drivers newer than 7xxx, you need to disable OpenGL VSync
> in the playback settings.
Hmmm... I don't see a setting for OpenGL VSync in the Playback settings
menu.
>  To get reasonably decent timing you will
> need to increase the RTC timing accuracy by typing this as root:
>  echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

Was 64... now 1024.
> With any nVidia driver make sure "OpenGL Settings : Sync to VBlank",
> "X Server XVideo Settings : Video Texture Adaptor Sync To VBlank" and
> "X Server XVideo Settings : Video Blitter Adaptor Sync To VBlank" are
> all disabled in nvidia-settings. All of those options should be disabled,
> even when OpenGL VSync is working (since it does it's own syncing).

The Video Texture Sync to VBlank was enabled - now disabled. The other
two options were already disabled.

Run mythtv...
- It will play a 4:3 sub-channel correctly. Great!
- Playing a 16:9 sub-channel results in half-speed playback.
- The machine locks up if I press "Alt-Tab" while watching video.

I then installed the nvidia 7xxx legacy drivers... re-check and apply
configuration... run mythtv... same result in the three tests above.

When running Xv mode my machine can't keep up with the hi-res 16:9
subchannels... it keeps real-time but drops frames and sometimes audio.
Is it possible that when using XvMC mode it isn't dropping frames to
keep up, but instead is playing at a slower speed?

Nick