[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jan 27 13:21:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 09:02 -0500, Tom Hines wrote:
> I assume the systems to which you are referring are HD capable and
> "just work".  My motive for building my own box was that I wanted to
> tinker with VIA min-itx mobos and it was just time for another DIY
> project.  I forget what the price breakdown was, but I'm in it for
> over $600 now.
>
> VIA EPIA M10000 (provides networking, video out, sound)

A Via is nice, but seriously underpowered. PLaying DVD uses up to 80-90%
of CPU and let's not even talk about playing RealVideo. That's even
worst. It won't even play smoothly!!

Nice Form Factor though. What's nice would be the new Omega-sd boxes
using a Pentium M chip.

Now, that would be Absolutely great.