[mythtv-users] Problem with yum

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 31 22:54:38 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 14:23, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
> While trying to fix my nfs module problem, I've decided
> to take the leap and move to yum (via Jarod's guide)

Eek! :)

Jarod's guide will more-likely-than-not be moving away from yum soon, as it
doesn't seem to mix well when 3rd-party packages are introduced (while apt
and smart work fine). The move will be to smart, since apt doesn't play nice
on multiarch x86_64 systems. More or less substitute any yum command w/smart,
and they ought to work.

> and I'm getting this:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpmmodule.so
> is needed by package rhn-applet
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpmdb is
> needed by package rhn-applet
>
> I've tried installing rhn and rpm which should already be there.
> I guess I'm not sure what yum is looking for...any ideas?

Both of those are provided by the rpm-python package. Looks like your distro
is either RHEL4 or FC3, no? (FC4 has python 2.4). If so, it gets a little
tricky, as you may have both python 2.3 from Red Hat and python 2.4 from
ATrpms, and/or rpm from ATrpms, in which case, it might be a different
package you need to provide the python 2.3 rpm bits...

Personally, unless running true RHEL, I find the RHN applet to be a big waste
of time. Its badly broken on FC4 (and not fixed for FC5), anyhow.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com