[mythtv-users] How to minimize CPU usage

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:48:24 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Jeppe N. Madsen <jeppenm at worldonline.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> > > 720p is (usually) 60fps.
> > >
> > > Bolek
> >
> >  That's what I thought, but that would mean 24 * 1280 * 720 * 60 =
> >  1260 Mbits/second going to the video card.  There'd be no way that
> >  would work over PCI
>
> But video cards usually doesn't run PCI. AGP 8x, released in late
> 2002, has 2.1GB/s (bytes, not bits!) bandwidth. Even AGP 1x has enough
> bandwidth.
>
> /Jeppe

This thread started off about how, using my onboard Sis graphics, I
didn't have enough CPU (by only a little bit) to get good 720p output,
and the only slots on my motherboard (Asus Pundit) are two PCI slots,
which doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth.  What to do?

Here's the whole thread if you're interested: