[mythtv-users] Definitive guide for setting multimedia keyboards in Myth?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Jan 31 14:29:36 UTC 2006

Cecil says that my kernel has HIDEV.  Last night I tried xbindkeys, and
it seems that it is missing the same buttons that SVEN was missing.  I
there a way I can watch the data come off the USB port?  I know the IR
receiver is getting the button presses.  The next step in the chain is
to see if any data is being given to the bus.

Ideas?

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2006, at 4:00 PM, Jason Lewis wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a similar ir remote and I found the easiest way of setting
>> it up
>> was to use lirc. lirc can take its input from a particular usb
>> keyboard
>> and remap the keys to whatever you like. perfect for configuring a usb
>> ir remote.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Jason.
>>
>> Richard Bronosky wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, so it looks like my USB IR Remote identifies itself as a
>>> keyboard.  That's cool, but a lot of the buttons aren't sending back
>>> characters.  It seems to be similar to multimedia keyboard with
>>> all the
>>> extra buttons.
>>>
>>> Is there a definitive guide out there for setting one of these up?
>>> Does KnoppMyth have a dormant solution for this?
>>> I installed SVEN  ( http://sven.linux.kiev.ua/index-en.shtml ),
>>> but it
>>> still misses a lot of the signals.
>>>

> You might try xbindkeys. In the config mode it will show you the code
> received from your device, which you can then bind to whatever  you
> wish.
>
> "Whatever you wish" might be xvkbd, which can simulate any keystroke
> combination. Check its man page for more info.
>
> I'm assuming you're running a recent kernel, and have USB HIDEV
> enabled in it.

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.