[mythtv-users] importing channels.conf

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Tue Jan 31 00:53:49 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 1/30/06, *Dylan R. Semler* <dsemler at macalester.edu
> <mailto:dsemler at macalester.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I recently used an ad-hoc and ugly channel scanning method that I came
>     up with that found 60 digital channels, most of which were not
>     HD.  When
>     I use mythtv's scanning tool, it only finds about 7, all of which are
>     HD.  The other digital channels are of much better quality than my
>     analog feed so I was wondering if there was a standard way to import a
>     large amount of channels into the database.  I've made a channels.conf
>     file and formatted it with all of the channels that I want to import.
>
>     I'm a bit doubtful that there is a way to do this automatically as I
>     can't even seem to find a way to add a single digital channel.  In
>     mythtv-setup there is an option to add a channel, but this seems
>     to only
>     work for analog channels where there is only one channel/frequency
>     (i.e.
>     I found no where to add info about the different subchannels of the
>     frequency).  I've seen ways to add channels through mysql (i believe)
>     but I know nothing about mysql and it looked very tedious if I was
>     going
>     to have to do that for all 53 channels that myth didn't find.
>
>     And before you ask, I did uncheck the "free to air channels only"
>     box in
>     the mythtv-setup before the scan.
>
>     Dylan
>

> Wiki entry of Jason Beck's guide-
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards>
>
> --
> Steve

Thanks for the link.  One minor thing.  The wiki page only talks about
modifying existing channels in the mysql database.  Since myth only
found 7 HD channels and I need a total of 60, I will have to add my own
entries into the channel table.  I can figure out what most of the
fields should be but I don't know what to put for two of them.  For the
chanid, can I just use any number that's not used for another channel or
does this need to correspond to something in some other table or
somewhere else?  Also, what should be put for the atscsrcid entries?

Dylan