[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:07:08 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

On Monday 30 January 2006 16:03, sarvinc at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:>
>
> >> You'd also need redistribution rights from the broadcasters, which
> >> I believe would mean that you'd need a c-band dish so you can work
> >> it out with them directly (since the cable company certainly won't
> >> give it to you).
> >>
> >> Nope, they most likley won't. Whew, yeah getting distribution
> >> rights is going to be good. Not all that difficult from what I
> >> understand, just expensive.
> >
> > I seem to recall an article posted here a year or two back about
> > someone in Canada who had done this, and the redistribution rights
> > were ridiculously cheap.  It just made me all the more annoyed with
> > the cable company/big content cartel.
> >
> > If I find the article I'll re-post it.
> >
> > -JAC
>
> I think that's this article:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040930.html

That's it.  Here's the relevant part:

---------------------------- Begin quoted text ------------------
At this point, intellectual property lawyers are supposed to start
reaching for their telephones to call Canada, but it won't do any good
because all this content is perfectly legal and here's how. With the
exception of local channels, which come from an antenna, all of
Andrew's video content comes from a C-band (big dish) satellite
receiver (receivers, actually), and is fully paid for. "I buy the
channels just like a cable system does or a motel that wants to offer
HBO, from the National Programming Service," says Andrew. "And as a
result I pay wholesale prices. People don't realize how much of a
markup there in is the cable business. The Discovery Networks, for
example, cost me $0.26 per customer per month. The IP laws in both the
U.S. and Canada say that if I have legal access to this content I can
store and use it. And the over-the-air channels, of course, are free."

-JAC

Soo...

Does anyone think there is a UK version of this kind of thing? If so,
details..
I'm talking about the whole sale rights thing..

Thanks

Steve