[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Kris Cote kris at storm3.com
Mon Jan 30 19:46:10 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "James C. Dastrup" <jc at dastrup.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

> Can MythTV be used to feed say, an apartment complex of 300 suites? What
> type of hardware could be used? How many backend servers would be needed?

Wow, sounds like a cool project.  But think of the limitations. Let's just
pretend
that there was a certain popular NFL game coming up, where most of the units
will be watching it live.  You would need well over 200 tuners! Plus, if
they want to
watch it in HD, that's 20 Mbit/sec network traffic to each unit!.  4
Gibit/sec
sustained transfer rate.  You will have the largest server farm of myth
servers
every imagined.  Yes, it could do it with the distributed architecture that
Myth
provides, assuming there aren't any built-in limitations, but seriously....

Yep, cool. Now, I didn't say it was a good idea. The internal network is
comprised of 1gig ethernet to each suite with the appropriate QoS an CoS.
So, the connectivity isn't really a concern. I know I could do this with a
commercial product, but wheres the fun in that?

Kris Cote - Storm3 Communications Inc.
http://www.storm3.com
kris at storm3.com
Wholesale  & Retail VoIP in Canada and the USA
Wholesale DSL in every Enabled community in North America