[mythtv-users] importing channels.conf

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:17:45 UTC 2006

I recently used an ad-hoc and ugly channel scanning method that I came
up with that found 60 digital channels, most of which were not HD.  When
I use mythtv's scanning tool, it only finds about 7, all of which are
HD.  The other digital channels are of much better quality than my
analog feed so I was wondering if there was a standard way to import a
large amount of channels into the database.  I've made a channels.conf
file and formatted it with all of the channels that I want to import.

I'm a bit doubtful that there is a way to do this automatically as I
can't even seem to find a way to add a single digital channel.  In
mythtv-setup there is an option to add a channel, but this seems to only
work for analog channels where there is only one channel/frequency (i.e.
I found no where to add info about the different subchannels of the
frequency).  I've seen ways to add channels through mysql (i believe)
but I know nothing about mysql and it looked very tedious if I was going
to have to do that for all 53 channels that myth didn't find.

And before you ask, I did uncheck the "free to air channels only" box in
the mythtv-setup before the scan.

Dylan