[mythtv-users] Recording MPEG-4 to DVD

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Jan 30 15:24:48 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2006, at 4:43 PM, Piers Kittel wrote:
>

>> Thanks very much for your quick reply!
>>
>> So I encode the video into MPEG-2 following the standard resolution
>> for
>> PAL DVD, then use a DVD creator tool to make a DVD ISO and then
>> burn it
>> on DVD?  Will standard MPEG-2 be OK or is there some specific
>> version of
>> MPEG-2 I need to encode the video into?
>>

> The video needs to be 720x480 or 704x480 (assuming NTSC) and meet
> some other standards.
>
> dvdstyler is a good option, as was pointed out, the other Linux
> option is dvdauthor and its graphical frontend qdvdauthor.
>
> Personally I use my Mac to create DVDs, so I can't tell you much
> about the authoring apps.

I've been wondering this for a while: Will the new version of MythBurn
be capable of this sort of thing?

Seems like a nice feature. I don't really want to switch to mpeg-4
unless MythBurn supports it,
but 170M/half hour with Mpeg-4 is a really nice CPU savings over
1GB/half hour with Mpeg-2.

17% of the size. :) But maybe that's just the compression for anime like
Naruto and FMA. Maybe
normal TV shows don't compress quite so well? I also wonder how badly
the quality would degrade,
going from my PVR 350's Mpeg-2 -> Mpeg-4 for disk storage, then back to
Mpeg-2 for DVD
burning. I suppose I could always buy a hardware Mpeg-4 encoder though.
Anyway, seems like
a desirable feature. Is it in the works?

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net