[mythtv-users] Network Device Failure.....

John Nelson pacer-myth at hordenet.org
Sun Jan 29 16:33:08 UTC 2006

Mr. Wood,

Well, I ran both lspci and the cat /proc/interrupts commands and the
outputs are copied below.  I was thinking a USB ethernet adapter would
be a bad idea.  As for PCMCIA, I have the ability to get an IDE adapter
that goes into a 5.25 slot on a case.  I have no idea about its specs,
if Linux wil leven see it, etc.  Plus, this would be a very certain kludge.

The First cut/paste is the thernet type.  The second is the interrupts.

I do notice there are quit a few on the 10: 499501 row.  Being a bit of
a wet behind the ears Linux newbie, is the 10 or the 499501 the
interrupt?  Or both?  The fact that there is one of my capture cards,
two USB ports and my Ethernet on whatever that row, do you think that
might be part of the problem?

As for whether my network device support is modular or compiled in, I
will have to look into that.

Thank you for the help.  Looks like I will be learning more about
modular versus compiled in support as well as Interrupt handling in
Linux.  :-)   (And while new, I do know a bit of generalized stuff ....)

Sincerely,
John Nelson

After running "lspci"
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 78)

Running cat /proc/interrupts

[root at mbackend mythtv]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    2675869          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        113          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  7:          1          XT-PIC  parport0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:     499501          XT-PIC  ivtv0, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, eth0
 11:      11623          XT-PIC  libata, VIA8237, ivtv1, ivtv2,
ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb5
 12:       4061          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:       3755          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     100673          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0