[mythtv-users] MythTV and TV

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Jan 29 14:26:42 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 01/28/2006 08:44 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>>I've been using MythTV successfully for about a year...
>>
>>But now I want to watch TV.
>>

>patient man...  ;)

Well, I built MythTV as a means of keeping my kids from trashing tapes
and DVDs.  It works so well I want more. :-)

>>My setup is as follows:
>>
>>tooth - FC2 mythtv backend, mysql server, file server, and also houses
>>the WinTV card.
>>
>>hermes - KnoppMyth box.  Mounts files via NFS
>>
>>I got everything set up, as per the docs.  I can click on WatchTV on
>>hermes, and I get a mostly green window with a bar of black and color
>>fuzz at the top.  This is the typical thing you see if the TV card is
>>not set to the correct frequency/channel/standard.
>>
>>After a while, the backend says: Couldn't read data from the capture
>>card in 15 seconds. Stopping.

>>2006-01-28 16:30:08.176 NVR: Error, cannot open DSP '/dev/dsp'
>>open: No such device or address
>>

>Fix your sound...

OK, how do I do that?  The backend sits in a room far away from the
frontend.  I want sound with my TV....  So how do I get mythtv to send
the sound along with the video down the network pipe?

--Yan