[mythtv-users] Summery of my problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 29 02:05:51 UTC 2006

On 01/28/2006 08:29 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Well it's worth a shot.  I'd love to get better picture quality.  I'm
>>> using ntsc_cable.
>>>
>> OK.  Attached is a patch...
>>
>> If there really is a
>> difference (and I still don't think there will be)

Read this ^^^^

> probably good to improve, but....
>
> for the silicon tuners i know about, (which are both the ones we use on
> our products as well as some others), this makes no difference at all.
> Most modern (silicon) tuners are able to finetune to the correct
> frequency if the initial frequency is within 125KHz of the correct
> frequency.
> We make use of this is the scanning algo, as this makes it possible in
> Europe to scan with 250KHz steps in case we have to do a frequency sweep....
> Please keep in mind, Europe cable does not have any standard to adhere to.

That's what I've been saying all along--since someone mentioned that the
frequency might be off by a few kHz...  However, it's hard to convince
people it's not a problem if they can't test it for themselves...  ;)

Personally, I don't think it's worth changing the definitions in the
source, but between the "This is so trivial to fix that it's silly not
to." comment in Trac ( http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/610 and my
response http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/164614#164614
), and "common wisdom" about using the finetune values to adjust
frequencies by a few kHz (which is often suggested), I figured a patch
on the list that lets people see for themselves that it doesn't matter
would be the best way to get other people to see it my way.

Mike