[mythtv-users] How to minimize CPU usage

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 20:50:16 UTC 2006

I'm running myth with separate front/back end computers.  The frontend
is a 2.8GHz P4 with 512MB ram, trying to display 720p HD, but I'm
maxing out the CPU - myth ~65+%, X around 30+%.  The video is at times
choppy when there's a lot of stuff changing in the frame.  What can I
do to reduce CPU usage?

Here's what I've done so far:
-compiled myth with --enable-proc-opt (using SVN from less than a week ago)
-using ratpoison for window manager
-not using any deinterlacing

Note: XvMC is not an option.

I'm running FC4.

mythfrontend -v playback reports that it's using Xvideo, format I420,
using realtime priority, video timing method: RTC (glx vsync not
supported in my driver).  Then I get a lot of video ahead of audio
dropping frames messages, and then a lot of audio ahead of video
messages.

/proc/meminfo says there's 100MB free while running myth, so I guess
it's not swapping.

What might be causing the high CPU?  I've read about people with
2.4Ghz P4s not having a problem with HD, so it seems like there should
be something I can do.  Would compiling my own kernel help?  With what
options?  Anything else I can try first?

-Jerry