[mythtv-users] PVR 350 / fine tune frequencies

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 28 19:19:35 UTC 2006

On 01/28/2006 01:32 PM, Matthew K. Lee wrote:
>> Are you sure it's a tuning issue and not a tuner module issue?  (Are you sure you're using the right tuner definition?)
> Well, I'm not sure what you mean by definition.  Here's my
> modprobe.conf and the corresponding output of lspci.

The only way to tell for sure is from the ivtv initialization log
messages, which you can retrieve with:

tac /var/log/messages |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
        /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
tac

However, from your modprobe.conf, I notice that you're not specifying a
tuner definition (i.e. options ivtv tuner=XXX), so it's likely you are
using the right one.

If you really want to see if it's a tuning issue, I'm going to be
posting a patch for SVN that fixes the frequency definitions so they're
"academically correct" in the thread
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/177694#177694 .
You're welcome to apply it to SVN, compile, and test.  It shouldn't make
any difference (the tuner hardware's fine-tuning mechanism should be
able to "zero-in" on the channel, anyway), but it's possible that your
cable company is transmitting some channels at frequencies that are off
in the opposite direction that the tuner frequency list is off, so the
delta is too large for the fine-tuning mechanism on these channels.

Mike